I got an email from a soon-to-be Mormon sister missionary who is going to Texas - read: hot and humid, and even more so when you have to dress modestly and be outside most of the time. I wrote a post about how to dress for that kind of weather a couple of years ago...and I still stand behind everything I said! To reiterate...
- Keep your hair away from your face and neck.
- Shower (at least) 5 times a day. (IT'S A JOKE! Kind of.)
- Sunglasses and sunscreen are muy importante.
- Wear breathable fabric like cotton. NO polyester or synthetic fabrics that may stick to your skin when you sweat.
- Avoid layers, especially those layering tees!! Simple is best! Think basic essentials: top, bottoms, shoes, and jewelry. You'll be so hot you won't care about looking good. So make sure your BASICS look good!
- Breathable shoes...but, please... NO flip-flops.
- Try to avoid dark colors because all that stuff you learned in science class in elementary school is f'real.
The Mormon church recently updated their missionary guidelines for dress and personal grooming that you can see here. I loved that they gave you examples, but it seems to be only for cool weather. I mean, why are they all wearing jackets?!? They'd roast here in Sacramento. (We've been seeing high 90s here the past couple of weeks. So I pretty much hate life.) I'd advise sister missionaries in hot climates to NOT wear jackets if you don't want to be hospitalized. Just thinking about it is giving me hot flashes.. Instead of wearing a jacket/blazer, focus on clothing with details that will make it more professional for you.
When it's too hot to think about looking presentable, the easiest solution would be a DRESS. You can get creative with your accessories and hair to change it up each time. Here are some missionary-worthy dress outfits (well, to me, at least.. I may be wrong.. I've never served a mission. I was a child-bride.):
|For the outfit details going L to R.. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
And here are some modest dresses I found for you. All under $25!! OH YEAH
I mentioned this in my old post, and I'll say it again... FULL SKIRTS! ..like the ones that fall away from your body. No clinging of any kind here because once you add sweat into the mix...it ain't pretty.
|What am I wearing? L-R: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8|
And a few of my picks.. again all under $25!!
I also picked out some COTTON and RAYON TOPS that I thought were cute for a sister missionary:
OKAY, where are all my RM sisters at?!? Can you weigh in with your words of wisdom? (hehe)