For the cool and trendy girl
For the classy and simple girl
For the feminine sophisticate
- Layers. Layers... Layers! Always start with a long-sleeve t-shirt (the base), add a button-up, add a v-neck sweater - inspired by Tania. Still cold? Add a cardigan. Wear a skirt over a dress for an extra layer.
- I got this one from Delightfully Tacky. Keep your hair down. Your head carries a lot of heat so having your hair down traps it around your body.
- Puffer coats are my favorite winter coats. Make sure they are streamlined down and/or by the waist so you don't look like the Michelin guy. I think winter coats are one of the areas where you should splurge. You're going to be wearing it every day for at least four months out of the year and it's the first (and possibly only) thing people are going to see you in so might as well spend those extra bucks.
- Wear tights underneath your jeans. I like to wear nude pantyhose underneath because I'll never wear them in public. I say save your good tights and wear your ugly ones!
- Wool socks are the best. Wearing them outside your jeans is even better.
- Good winter boots are also a great investment. They're the other first thing that people see besides your coat. Make sure your boots are WATERPROOF! You'd be surprised at how many boots aren't. If yours are not, you can get one of those sprays that magically make your shoes waterproof. They're like $10 or something and you're supposed to do them every few months or so. They also take a day to dry so keep that in mind if you go out to buy some tonight.
- Scarves. Check out Tania's scarf-tying tutorial for more ideas on how to make the most of your scarves.
- Don't feel like wearing pants today? Double-layer your tights! Perhaps a colored base with a lacy one on top. And then add some knee-high socks with knee-high boots.
- What are some of your tips on looking chic in the cold?